“Sustainable” and “Green” are commonly used when speaking of interior finishes, and are becoming even more present in the world of furniture. Whether you’re purchasing new or replacing existing there are several things to keep in mind when selecting furniture. 1. Sustainable furnishings have a broad range of attributes which may not encompass all of your desires within one product, so decide what is most important to you in your search for green solutions. Attributes to look for:
- Recycled/Salvaged content
- Durability & Longevity
- Rapidly renewable
- Bio-based materials
- No or Low VOC
- Companies Environmental Policy
- Easy replacement
- Serviceability of components
2. To aid in your search, look for third-party verification certificates. These certificates are based on industry best practices and require an extensive application process.
- Cradle to Cradle
- Forest Stewardship Council
- UL Environment Sustainable Product
- NSF/ANSI Standard 336
- Business + International Furniture Manufacturer's Association (BIFMA)
3. Consider a product's complete lifecycle which covers a products origin, creation, shipping and disposal. Through established relationships, companies such as Humanscale aid in the disposal of product through, donation, refurbishment or recycling.
There is a whole sea of furniture in the green market, so use these tips when buying your next piece, whether for a client or for your own home!